Thursday, December 24, 2009

The unexpected gift

I feel that I must also touch upon the ever etiquette-bundle-of-mess which is the "I don't have a gift for you" scenario. It happens to all of us, receiving a gift from an unexpected giver.

What to do? Say 'Thank you very much this is such a surprise' and put it under the tree.
You really can't be expected to have a personalized gift for everyone that could randomly give you a gift.

Some are of the mind set that you must return a gift with a gift; if you agree then you probably have a stack of pre-wrapped gifts set aside just for this situation. Favourites would included: chocolates (see last post), alcohol, gift cards....did you read my 'easy gifts'?

I do however, recommend that you add this person to your gift list for the next year and make an extra point to get a good gift for them. And you shouldn't expect a gift in return either.

No comments: